Following last year’s MLB Home Run Derby, Josh Hamilton became a familiar name to many of us. Not only did he crush home run after home run (28 in the first round to be exact), but his life story of going from unbelievable highs (i.e. the #1 draft pick in the ’99 MLB draft) to unbelievable lows (i.e. years wasted on drugs and alcohol) and then back to the highs (playing major league baseball with talent & power rarely seen) was well documented. Though I still have a couple of chapters to go, his book, “Beyond Belief,” is an incredible story of how God can turn even the most hopeless, useless lives into lives filled with joy, peace, and meaning for his glory. As Josh was finally allowing God to get his life back in order “piece by piece,” he had a dream about one day participating in the Home Run Derby at the All-Star game. He admits that it was a far-fetched dream at this particular point in his recovery. However, in the dream, he saw himself hitting multiple home runs and then being interviewed by a female television reporter. He then woke up from the dream feeling happy and wondering…
“How many home runs did I hit? Did I win? I didn’t know how many, and I didn’t really know whether I won or lost. And I realized there was a reason: God doesn’t care about winning or losing. It’s not important; what’s important is to be there, and to use your gifts to the fullest.”
Doesn't his realization ring true? We don’t know the outcome each day will bring. We don’t know the result of our interacting with others. We don’t always know God's plans for us in all situations. What matters is that we’re there - we’re in the game – and that we’re using our gifts to the fullest to share God’s love with others. Believe it or not, winning or losing doesn’t even enter the picture!!
January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment